Friday, March 05, 2021

Newsletter no 13 - sent 25 February 2021

 Hi Everyone 

Well, nobody contacted me so nothing on the Zoom front.  You must be all hoping that we can meet in person soon!  Or perhaps you’re fed up with zoom and similar meetings.  I’ve my fingers crossed that we can do so by September, especially hearing recently that they hope everyone will be vaccinated by the end of August.  In the mean time we all need to do our “bit” and have patience. 

This newsletter is going to be much shorter than usual.  Family matters have taken over recently and will continue to do so for a few weeks yet. Don’t worry—I’m fine;  and I don’t have covid or anything else.  I just need to concentrate on other things for a little while.  The researched content this time are things I’d found before my world turned upside down and the rest is stuff that was almost ready.  So if anyone would be able to send a contribution for me to include next time that would be lovely.  It doesn’t have to be long, just something you found interesting and think others might.

Browsing the World Wide Web

Before everything kicked off I saw a link to twined knitting which looks like something different to try.  It gives a firmer, thicker and less elastic stitch than stocking stitch, so I can see uses for it.  I thought at first it looked a bit like card 1 slip stitch on a knitting machine, but until I actually try it and compare I can’t be sure.

I know some people don’t like ordering yarn on line, and getting to a yarn shop to choose some can be difficult so what about having a yarn vending machine?

Socks

Sorry, this will have to wait till next time too.

My Stay and Home and Keep Busy List/Chart

It’s been a strange month here, and I haven’t been able to settle to much as I’ve been waiting for the phone to ring, making phone calls and also having long chats with  a friend over Facetime but this is not the time or place to go into that!

One good thing is that I have had my first vaccination and only a sore arm to show for it, so that cheered me up. I hope a lot of you have now been vaccinated to and that we all get our second jab on time.

Naturally I’ve been keeping up with my card making, and trying to rationalize and tidy the papercraft supplies too. The problem is what to do with the things you decide to let go of. With restrictions easing it may become easier to destash all crafts, not just papercrafts.

I have finally washed and blocked the cashmere scarves and shawl that got a mention last month, and I knitted another one, just plain stocking stitch this time with a couple of stripes. All are pictured in the show and tell.  Since I took this picture I’ve emptied a few more cones. 

When I bought my weaving loom I thought I’d be using up miles of my stash of yarn, but if anything it uses less than knitting. The simple scarf to the left weighs in at less than 60g. I do need to give it another wash as I don’t think all the oil is out yet. Weaving seems to need a bit more washing than knitting.  Did I say it’s cashmere??

 I have so much yarn on cones, lambswool, pure wool and some unknown as well as acrylic crepe and goodness knows what else. I really must knit and weave more of it, or perhaps it's time to find a new home for some.




Show and Tell

A few of you have written/sent messages to say that your crafting has ground to a halt and that you have no incentive to craft, no motivation to do anything not even tidy up after a recent project.  Maybe seeing the snowdrops, crocuses and narcissus growing in the garden, and the sun coming out more often will change that. It does mean that I have very little this time for the show and tell.

Nina messaged to say that she had finally finished knitting her cardigan! It was challenging being almost black with lighting conditions we've had lately. Knitted in King Cole Angora Look 4ply acrylic. She used her favourite sideways knitted radar pattern. Purl side used as right side with stocking stitch bands.  

Nina has also knitted this jumper.  She used Foxstones Monte Carlo 100% acrylic 4ply yarn and one of her favourite Knit Radar patterns for this sideways knitted jumper from an Ann Kent idea. Well done Nina

 


My knitted offerings this month are the finally finished scarves and a wrap, plus a couple of pairs of fingerless mittens.  All knitted in the oddments of cashmere.  Three of the scarves and the wrap in the separate picture below got a mention in the last Newsletter.  They have now been washed and blocked.  The darker scarf with stripes has been knitted this month.  None of them are perfect, but the are warm and someone I am sure will love them.  I think I will keep the wrap by my chair for when it gets a bit cool in the evening and I need a bit of extra warmth.


 


Take care everyone.  It should be business as usual next time!

 

And finally:

 


Until we meet again

 

 Keep Calm

and carry on

Knitting or Crocheting!

 

Hands, Face, Space

 

Keep Active, Stay Positive - We will meet again

 


No comments: